Credits (As what I consider the hard stuff was actually done by other people):
TheSmileyCoder for the solid awesome little VBS File, this basically gets around the limitation of not actually getting Access to load another Access Database. At the time I only ever needed one modification (A rarely issue affected two P4 machines with a 5400RPM drive and bloated AV software). More than likely WScript.Sleep(200) won’t be required and the original file can be used.
UtterAccess for the AddTrustedLocation code.
AccessMVP as for this loader I tend to use the DSNLESS code to remove the need to deploy yet another ODBC link to user machines.
VBA Tips and Tricks for the FileExists module.
The following contains what I call the Microsoft Access 2010 Loader. It was put together to try and stop heavily used Microsoft Access database front ends from corrupting (We had a point where one particular Access front end would be corrupted up to 3 or 4 times a day as around 40 to 50 people would be in a 40MB Access front end at any time). The included version will require the table to be linked to a database, we use a central SQL database.
This access file will treat its own filename as the file it will launch, so be aware the loader and your actual access front ends needs to be located in different places.
What does it do:
It checks if a copy of the Access front end and VBS file exists locally (I use the %appdata% folder, you may want to use another location or %localappdata% instead)
If it exists it checks if the version in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\
If it doesn’t exist locally or the version does not match it then downloads from a location such as “\\myserver\access$\”
If downloaded the registry is updated with the new version number
It then passes parameters to a VBS file created by TheSmileyCoder and launches it
The first form of the called Access file MUST have VBA code of some sort or else the Access file simply closes.
I haven’t found a way to detect if a local copy of an Access ACCDR file has corrupt VBA.
I have found users copy and rename the loaders file breaking it, try and ensure shortcuts are used.
I haven’t been able to trap where Windows AD accounts have expired or locked, as the error occurs when Access connects to our central SQL database.
If the locations aren’t added to the Trusted Locations the user will be prompted twice to allow the Access files to open. The loader uses code to add this on first launch.
I sometimes find the repaints don’t always work.
Looking at the code used its a bit horrible looking, more than likely it can be optimized much better.
What do I need to change in VBA (Alt + F11):
Replaced in the VBA code “MyCompany” with your own on the main form and module SwitchFrontEnd.
Replace \\myserver\access$\ with where you will store your files (I used access$ as this is hidden if someone views the server)
If you don’t use .accdr files replace .accdr on the forms code
The actual files:
Microsoft Access Loader Files